Course Number: ABIO2211
When: Available February 21, 2022 – February 19, 2024
Where: Video available under “materials & requirements” once you register. Audio available on the Speechie Side Up podcast
Description: In this session, we discussed gestalt language processing and how to identify a gestalt learner. We discussed the need to identify a gestalt language learner when assessing progress and explored what treatment would look like in relation to natural language acquisition.
Who This Course Is Good For:
- Any ASHA member, CCC holder, or other professional that is licensed or credentialed to practice speech-language pathology (SLP) or audiology or preparing to earn ASHA CEUs.
- Any professional who works with pediatric clients.
- Any professional who is seeking to learn more about AAC and gestalt language learners.
Who This Course Isn’t Good For:
- Any professional who is not familiar with the term AAC.
- Any professional that does not currently work with any pediatric clients and does not plan to in the near future.
VENITA LITVACK, M.A, CCC-SLP
Venita is an Assistive Technology (AT) Consultant in south Florida. She has a passion for using AAC, AT, and literacy to support individuals with complex communication needs, autism, and other disabilities. Venita has delivered poster presentations on several topics related to AAC at ASHA and co-presented several ASHA CEU accredited courses. Venita co-authored two articles published in ASHA Leader’s online publication, as well as the Lou Knows What to Do book series published by Boys Town Press. Recently, Venita started utilizing the power of social media to empower and motivate educators across the country through the Speechie Side Up podcast, blog, Instagram account, and YouTube channel.
ALEXANDRIA ZACHOS, MS, CCC-SLP/L
Alexandria Zachos is an SLP, a business owner, a wife, and a mom.
Venita Litvack has the following relevant financial relationships to disclose: ownership interest in Speechie Side Up, LLC and Tassel Learning, LLC; royalties from the Lou Knows What to Do book series.
Venita Litvack has the following relevant nonfinancial relationships to disclose: member of the ASHA Special Interest Group 12.
Alexandria Zachos has the following relevant financial relationships to disclose: Alexandria was compensated for her time making this podcourse. Alexandria owns Meaningful Speech LLC, which she owns and operates online.
Alexandria Zachos has no-nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
In-Kind Support was provided by the following companies through product offerings, services, and/or discounts to giveaway to attendees at no charge: Vooks, The Speech Chick, The Digital SLP, Swivel Scheduler, Creative Speech Lab, What Should Danny Do?, SLP Now, Bridges, The Speech Tree Co, SLP Toolkit, Northern Speech Services, Speech Time Fun, Peachie Speechie, SLP Nerdcast, and Tassel Learning.
As a result of this activity, participants will:
- Define gestalt language processing (GLP)
- Identify 3 characteristics of gestalt language processing
- Describe at least 2 treatment strategies for gestalt language processors
- Identify 3 reasons why it’s important to identify gestalt language processors
|10 min||Introductions and Backgrounds|
|5 min||Description of gestalt language processing (GLP)|
|10 min||Overview of GLP characteristics|
|15 min||Discussion of why SLPs should know about GLP|
|15 min||Discussion of treatment strategies and goal writing|
|5 min||Closing, Discussion, and Questions|
To file a complaint or ask general questions about the complaint filing process, please contact our support team at email@example.com